Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Great Blizzard of 2011

What a day!! It began by watching the insane Chicagoians on Fox News. Filling up 2 grocery carts at a time and freaking out about the snow. I know it's bad, but seriously? You need 2 grocery carts? If anything we'll be stuck inside for a few days max. It's not like we'll have to break a window and dig ourselves out to live. It's like a Y2K flashback. "Fill up your bathtubs! We may run out of water!" But seriously, it did get bad.

My school (for the first time in history!) granted us a snow day. They decided to close at 1:30 but the Anatomy and Biology labs were open until 3. I have a lab due Friday that we will also be tested on Friday so I decided to stay and take my chances. After successfully rocking the lab in only 45minutes I decided to head home. My first few steps outside I realized the snow was already up to the tops of my boots-not a good sign! The drive home was fairly easy. I did fine but the van in front of me was swerving like a mad man so I just kind of kept my distance. I safely made it into town where I stopped to drop off notes to a friend only one block away. All went smoothly until I was headed out of her driveway. Another car came flying down the alley so I pulled to the right, flew over an ice hill and was immediately stuck-more bad news! Thirty minutes later 3 innocent bystanders successfully shoved me out. Phew! I headed home to make dinner and was MORE than satisfied after slipping into my fleece pajama pants. Minutes later I heard a blood curdling cry. A few weeks ago Evelyn had smashed her finger in the bathroom door and her nail was then rotten and yellow. Well the blood curdling cry was due to Jared shutting the bathroom door on the exact same finger. I ran to look and the finger nail was completely gone! Evelyn's finger was gushing blood, pouring down her arm and on my shirt sleeve. I freaked out and screamed to Jared it was terrible! I rinsed it under the sink and grabbed a clean washcloth, held it down on Evelyn's finger and lifted it above her head. I was trying to keep my grasp on her hand and calm her down at the same time. It was terrifying and very traumatic for her once she saw the blood. Ten minutes later we turned on Toy Story 3 and she slowly but surely settled down. What a freakin night!

It all came to a great end when Jared got the phone call that, for the first time in Oberweis history, they were called off work! We made a pallet, snuggled up and watched some "Clue's Clue's". Towards the end of the show Evelyn turned around, smiled and threw her arm around my neck for a big hug. Even when I have what seems like the worst day ever it's an unbelievable feeling to come home to someone who loves you more than anything in the world (besides fruit snacks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment