Thursday, June 25, 2009

Grandpa Eli


Tonight as I rocked Evelyn to sleep in a rocking chair built by my Grandpa Eli I was glad she was lucky enough to meet a man like him. I will never forget how it felt to hold my Grandpa's hand, or how he always had lines on his fingernails-something I always wanted when I was younger, just to be like him. I'll never forget his laugh, his smile or the way he smelled. I'll miss pulling into the driveway and seeing him and Holly on the front porch swing listening to their little black radio-a sure sign of Spring. Although most visits were spent sitting silently on the porch together it always felt good to be in his company-I'd wish nothing more than to be on that swing holding his hand right now. I'll miss how he was always in freshly ironed slacks and button downs with his signature hat-the best dressed man in town, and his love for tending to his own lawn. I'll even miss listening to him and Grandma Jo argue. Even though he wasn't always the happiest man on Earth, I know Grandpa deeply loved his family and his life. I admired his strength, pride and mostly his advice. I'm lucky to have had such a man for a Grandfather. I love you Grandpa, I know you're watching down on me and our family.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Ali. This was beautiful. And great pictures to have, too.

    ReplyDelete