Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

I have been anticipating Father's Day to come for weeks! I had a great surprise for Jared and almost couldn't wait. After his favorite breakfast of bisquits and gravy, bacon and eggs served to him first thing in the morning I decided to make him sweat it out for a while before revealing my surprise. While cleaning up the breakfast dishes Jared asked where his Father's Day card was. I replied I had not gotten him one due to a lack of time. He argued that I must have gotten him one since I had gotten our fathers and grandfathers cards a week ahead of time. I simply told him I was sorry and I hadn't made everyone else breakfast so he should be happy. While all this was going on Evelyn was nearing the end of naptime and Jared decided to get in the shower-PERFECT timing! When I heard the water shut off I rushed into Evelyn's room where she was already awake, changed her diaper and set up my surprise. Here is what Jared found when retrieving Evelyn from her nap (minus the smile).
We are good! And yes, I made that shirt with Sharpies.

Unfortunately we recieved some bad news after this eventful morning. Most of our family spent the rest of the afternoon in the hospital as my grandfather struggled for breath, his wife of 67 years alongside him, holding his hand. It gave a stronger meaning to Father's Day, a day dedicated to celebrating men like my grandfather-men who have lived wonderful lives and are heroes to their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, men who work hard and put family above all else. Men like my Grandpa Eli.

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet!! She is such a doll.

    I'm so sorry to hear about Grandpa Eli. You are all in my prayers and he is in a much better place now. I love you!

    ReplyDelete