Sunday, June 14, 2009

Wade In The Water

Sometimes when Evelyn is learning a new skill she can get very frustrated. Although her current accomplishments include smiling, cooing, blowing bubbles, playing by herself, shaking a rattle, and holding her head up all on her own, she got pretty upset when she failed at her first attempts. For instance, when she first began trying to 'talk' to us it would sometimes end in crying.

Today while Evelyn was spending the afternoon with Grandma Jilly B and her cousins I shared that frustration when unsuccessfully attempting to water ski. Jared was the first contender going up on the first try and skiing for about 10 minutes. Me-not so much. First of all, my life jacket was about a 4x, the skis felt too big, and I have absolutely no upper body strength. But I thought, "What the heck! I love a challenge." The first twenty tries my legs would drift away from each other leaving me with a mouthful of water and disappointment and due to a lack of experience, no one really knew what to do. Although he was trying to help Jareds repetetive, "Lean back and keep your legs together!" just made me even more frustrated. At one point I was stuck on my stomach and could not get myself turned around-I was belly down, legs spread apart trying to swim/roll over, but trying to, I guess roll, all you could see was my rear end pop up into the air and me wading in the water like a frog. Needless to say, I never made it up and the first thing I thought was, "I totally understand."

No comments:

Post a Comment