Thursday, October 15, 2009

Oh, Grandpa

After my orientation today we loaded up the car and headed to my Grandma Jo's. She made us a delicious home-cooked meal of ham, creamed peas and mashed potatoes with, of course, homemade cookies for dessert. She swears she 'can't cook anymore' but deep down she knows she's still got it. She loved watching Evelyn enjoy her first self-fed meal of mashed taters and peas. She had them down her sleeves, on her little legs, everywhere. But I was glad she enjoyed it. Jared and Ev watch TV as Grandma and I did the dishes together, something I miss doing. Something I also miss is eating dinner with my Grandpa Eli. When I was setting the table I asked Grandma who should sit where-I sat in my normal spot, Jared in Grandmas and Grandma sat in Grandpas seat. I didn't feel comfortable with anyone else in his chair-it brought tears to my eyes remembering him in his chair with his cup of coffee after dinner. I'm just not comfortable with it yet. I don't think I've ever really come to terms with the passing of my grandfather. I'm easily upset with thoughts of my Grandpa, something that hasn't happened until now. When I stayed at my cousin Sarahs overnight I came across a picture of her and Grandpa dancing. I looked at it remembering every inch of that face that I will never forget. I took a silent moment to myself to cry. I never realized how much I miss him. I wish Evelyn could have known the Grandpa I admire so much.

Oh, Grandpa, I miss you.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Alli...you're so sweet. Grandpa Eli and I were very close and I always knew he wasn't the "tough guy" he tried to be. He was a kind, tender, wonderful man who loved his family more than anything in the world. You have wonderful memories and stories you can share with Evey Bug when she gets older so she will feel like she knew him too. I miss him very much.

    ReplyDelete